Match Report


TRUFC 2nd XV vs Bolton RUFC 2nd XV

46 – TRUFC 2nd XV

5 – Bolton RUFC 2nd XV

Tarleton Second XV were in action in the Quarter Finals of the Brooke Edgley Specialist Technical Services Trophy on Saturday with a home fixture against a Bolton RUFC who are in second place in the same league as our 2s.

The first five minutes of play were frantic and in an attempted tackle the Bolton No. 10 and 14 collided and a cut eye and broken nose ensued, while I was helping with this Tarleton crashed over for a try and I missed who scored it! This was converted by George Cook and Tarleton led 7-0.

Tarleton attacked again from the restart and good hands saw the ball moved into midfield to Jack Calveley who burst through four tackles to score a try under the sticks, again converted by George Cook to increase the lead to 14-0. Tarleton went further ahead when another attack was halted by Bolton with a high tackle and George Cook slotted the penalty for a 17-0 lead.

Bolton had some good attacks but the Tarleton defence dealt with everything that was thrown at them. Just before half time Tarleton were camped in the Bolton half and attack after attack was repulsed but Bolton started to give away too many penalties and from a quick tap penalty Joe Bullen sliced through their defence to score another try which was also converted to give Tarleton a 24-0 half time lead.

From the kick off the ball was gathered by Tarleton and a kick through by Tom Wignall which saw him out pacing the Bolton defenders in the chase for the ball saw him pulled back illegally and Dan Mallinson took the 3 points on offer from the ensuing penalty.

The Bolton 10 was breathing a bit better now and he made a good break before offloading with an inside ball to his Number 8 who surprised everyone with an audacious Crossfield kick which was chased down by their winger who scored in the corner to bring the score to 27-5.

Bolton upped the tempo of their game and during this period looked the most likely to score and despite creating some good try scoring chances a combination of a poor final pass and good defending kept them out.

Tarleton’s next try came from a good scrum and some solid forwards play with Chris Naish breaking through with two players hanging off him, he managed to offload the ball to Tom Wignall who raced through the gap created to score under the posts. Dan Mallinson put the conversion over and the score was now 34-5.

To their credit Bolton continued to play their fast paced open style of rugby and this gave them another try when quick hands saw the ball move across the back line for the winger to score in the corner to bring the score back to 34-10.

This was Boltons’ last challenge though as although they continued to attack they were undone by a good midfield steal in the tackle and another good break by Chris Naish who offloaded to Alex Rigby who scored under the posts. Dan Mallinson converted and with 5 minutes left Tarleton led 41-10. Tarleton hadn’t finished as from the re-start the Tarleton forwards took the ball and from 4 phases of play good yards were made and an offload to Jack Calveley saw him burst through and slip a good ball to Ellis McGovern who charged through the last two Bolton defenders to score and cement a good Tarleton victory at 46-10.

This was a good performance by Tarleton and Bolton will be ruing the missed chances that would have made the score line closer, hats off to the Bolton stand-off who had a good game despite his injury and was probably the best playmaker on the pitch.


Match Report & Photos: Jeff Gordon


Photos from the game